20080312

A meditation on heroes (Part 1)


grey leftists falling
yellowed memoirs updated

green dogma beckons

An alert reader reminded me that I have given but short shrift to the Maltese general elections -- taking place over the weekend, in which tal-Partit Nazzjonalista (PN) eked out a narrow (approx. 1200) vote victory over the favored challenger Malta Labour Party (MLP) to maintain its hold of the government after 20 years in power. While the PN did end up losing about 4 seats in parliament and saw its share of the popular vote decline, the unexpected defeat led to the resignation of the MLP leader, intellectual, reformer and novelist, Dr. Alfred Sant.



While I cannot help but lament the withdrawal of Dr. Sant from the helm of the MLP, I would like to remind the folks in Hamrun that I am still accepting offers of Maltese citizenship should they feel the need for a relative outsider to steer the ship through the troubled waters of the coming years of continued opposition and internal reform.

Brooding upon the results in Malta, I thought back to the defeat of another personal hero, Lionel Jospin, back in 2002. In the next post on this subject, I will resolve what I have come to see as the "Lionel Jospin is not an old loser" paradox.

No comments: